AbleToTrain by Willing & Able

House fires are caused by a variety of factors

Misuse of appliances and heating equipment, as well as smoking in bedrooms, can easily cause a property to catch fire. Temperatures in Australia’s hot summer months can reach 400°C, and when combined with a dry climate, conditions are excellent for fires to start.

You can, however, take precautions to prevent a fire in your house and safeguard your family’s safety. Some of the most prevalent causes of house fires, as well as some prevention techniques, are included below.

1. Cooking supplies

Pots and pans can easily overheat and catch fire if the chef becomes preoccupied and leaves the kitchen unattended. When cooking on hotplates, stay in the room or ask someone to keep an eye on your food.

2. Warmth

Keep portable heaters at least one metre away from anything that could catch fire, including furniture, curtains, laundry, clothes, and even oneself. If you have a furnace, have it tested once a year to ensure that it is up to code.

3. Smoking in sleeping quarters

It’s preferable if smoking isn’t allowed in bedrooms. A cigarette that is not properly put out can result in a flame, as the butt may remain burned for several hours. If it came into contact with flammable things, such as furniture, it may catch fire. Did you know that 73 percent of all house fire fatalities occur in the bedroom or living room?

4. Electrical apparatus

If an electrical appliance, such as a toaster, is malfunctioning or has a frayed cord, it might cause a fire. An overloaded power outlet with two adaptor plugs might create a fire due to excessive electricity use. If not utilized properly, a power point extension cord might be a fire hazard. Double-check your home’s appliances and electrical outlets.

5. Candles

Candles are lovely to look at and smell, but if left unattended, they may easily cause a room to burst into flames. Keep candles away from anything that can easily catch fire, such as books and tissue boxes. Before leaving a room, always extinguish a candle. Did you know that 34 house fires began in Perth last year as a result of candles?

6. Inquisitive children

Kids may start a fire out of curiosity to see what happens if they light something on fire. To avoid a curiosity gone wrong, keep any matches or lighters out of reach of children. Install a smoke alarm in your child’s room and go over a fire escape plan with your kids and family. Teach your children the “stop, drop, cover, and roll” drill, as well as their address in case they need to dial 911.

7. Wiring problems

Electrical dangers can cause fires in homes with insufficient wiring. The following are some indicators that you have faulty wiring:

If you use another appliance, the lights fade.

To make one appliance operate, you must turn off another.

Fuses commonly blow or trip the circuit.

If you notice any of the above, get a licensed electrician to evaluate your home or inform your landlord.

8. Barbeques

Barbeques are fantastic for an outdoor meal, but they should never be used near the house, tablecloths, or plants or tree branches. Maintain and clean BBQs on a regular basis using soapy water, as well as any removable parts. Before each usage, inspect the gas bottle for any leaks.

9. Flammable liquids

Keep flammable substances such as fuel, kerosene, or methylated spirits away from heat sources and read the label before storing. When pouring these liquids, use caution.

If lamp shades and light fittings are placed too close to light globes, they might generate heat. To be sure, look around the house. Lamp bases that are readily knocked over can become a hazard, and should be removed if this is the case. Make sure downlights aren’t exposed to wood paneling or ceiling timbers.