AbleToTrain by Willing & Able

Accidents in the workplace

Your boss is responsible for keeping you safe and teaching you about any risks to your health and safety. They must also report certain accidents and occurrences, pay you for sick leave, and provide you with time off if you are wounded on the job.

Reporting a workplace injury

Major workplace accidents, infections, and hazardous circumstances must be reported by your company. They must provide a report.

  • Death

  • For example, if a serious injury, such as a broken arm or ribs,

  • Dangerous situations, such as scaffolding collapses and people being overwhelmed by gas.

  • Any other injury that prevents an employee from performing their regular duties for more than three days.

  • Disease.

Health and safety in the workplace

Your manager needs to do a risk assessment and take the right steps to make sure that all employees and visitors are safe and healthy. This includes calculating the number of firsts. Your manager needs to do a risk assessment and take the right steps to make sure that all employees and visitors are safe and healthy. First-aid supplies and facilities should be available.

Although first responders do not have a legislative right to overtime pay, some businesses do. Employees must also take appropriate precautions to ensure their own health and safety.

Accident reporting

Any workplace injury, however minor, should be recorded in your employer’s “accident book.”

All employers, except for the smallest ones, are required to keep an accident log. It is largely for employees’ benefit since it provides a handy record of what happened in case you need time off work or need to file a claim later on. But keeping track of what happens lets your company figure out what’s wrong and take steps to stop it from happening again.

Sick leave

In most cases, if you need to miss work because of an accident, you will only be eligible for statutory sick pay. Your firm may have a policy that pays more for time off due to accidents, or they may decide to pay more based on the circumstances.

Making a claim for personal injury

If you have been injured at work and believe your employer is at fault, you may be entitled to file a claim for compensation. Any claim must be filed within three years of the date of the accident, and you will nearly always require the services of a lawyer. If you belong to a trade union, you may be allowed to use the lawyers of the union. Alternatively, you should speak with a personal injury lawyer.

Your boss is required by law to have insurance coverage in the event of a successful claim and to post a certificate at work with the name of their insurance company. If not, they are obligated to furnish you with the relevant information.

If you are considering suing your employer, keep in mind that the purpose of legal damages is to put you in the position you would have been in if the accident had not occurred—it is not about collecting “free” money. There are also legal and court fees to consider.

What should you do if you are in an accident?

If you are hurt at work, you should seek medical assistance right away:

  • Make a note of any injuries in the “accident book.”

  • Check your job contract or written statement for information on sick or accident pay.

  • If there is a disagreement, attempt to work it out with your boss.

Notify your employer or the employee safety representative if you see any health and safety issues at work and request that they be rectified.